Overlooking the Gulf of Morbihan, the Château de Kerlevenan, listed as a historical monument, is an example of neoclassical architecture in Brittany.
It was built during the last years of the 18th century by the Marquis de Gouvello, who wanted to revive in Brittany the Italy he knew and particularly loved.
He owned a Breton granite mansion which was likely to be restored: he recovered the stones to make the foundations of his new home.
And it was in 1784, at his request, that the architect of Norman origin Jacques François Jouanne began the construction of a new building. It favors the north facade facing the Gulf of Morbihan, adorning the roof with a balustrade lined with lead gutters. For the stables located to the east, it adopts a curved plan, and has several factories in a regular garden with terraces, of which only the Temple of Love, transformed into a chapel in 1870, and the pavilion remain today. Chinese, very fashionable in the "Anglo-Chinese" gardens of the late 18th century.
Interrupted by the Revolution, the construction of the Château de Kerlevenan was not really completed until 1827 by the Parisian architect Auguste Caristie, for the owner's son and his wife, Thérèse Le Ray de Chaumont, daughter of the intendant of Les Invalides. under Louis XVI. The latter, a great admirer and friend of Benjamin Franklin, encouraged by his influence and his fortune, the war of independence in the United States.
The park, now a listed historical monument site, is open to visitors.
Open from July 1 to September 15, every afternoon, from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., except Wednesday.
From October 1 to June 30, visits are by appointment on 02 97 26 46 79.
Price: 3 €.